Pests are small invaders that can cause enormous damage to your property. They are very good at hiding, so it may take a while before they get detected and identified. While some species live in yards and gardens, nesting under plant leaves and nearby rocks, others may live in your basement. In this article, we will share a couple of effective pest control tips you should take into consideration when trying to get rid of pests.
Identify the pest type – get to know your enemy
There are numerous types of pests out there. Some pests leave trails and clear signs of their presence, such as holes, gnaw marks, mud tubes, frass, droppings, musty odor, etc. However, there are also pest species that feed, nest and live quietly, inside your house walls or kitchen cabins. What is common for all types of pests is that they are persistent, hardworking creatures which can cause expensive damage and an unhealthy environment for humans.
Effective pest control requires proper identification of pests and knowledge of their life cycle and behavior. Once you learn how to detect them and estimate the damage they have caused, you can start planning your pest control strategy.
DIY pest control tips that work
Speaking of pest control, it is always important to take timely action in order to prevent pests from infesting your home and environment. However, not many people recognize the need for pest control year round, and wait until they spot some of these invaders inside their property. If you suspect your home is infested by pests, you will find these DIY pest control tips useful.
- Be tidy and organized. This is one of the essential things to consider if you want to get rid of pests. As we all tend to clutter our basement, garage and even the bedroom, it’s important to start organizing and throw away all the useless stuff.
Getting rid of all the unnecessary boxes, bags and magazines will make the space easier to clean and organize. Throwing away the useless cartons will help you remove the dust and you will end up having a beautiful, spacious, pest-free room. Making your living space tidy and well organized is not only incredibly healthy; it’s also one of the most effective and cost-free ways to ensure a pest-free environment.
When tidying up, don’t forget to organize the rest of the rooms, especially those where you keep your food. Store your food in plastic containers and glass jars with lids, and seal them properly. Since pests need food, once they get inside your home, they will find your storage right away if you don’t keep your food containers well-sealed. As soon as they discover it, they will contaminate it and jeopardize your health.
- Use humidifiers and ventilators. Some areas of the house need more ventilation and humidifying. Attics, basements, and other similar places should always be dry, as pests enjoy nesting in moist and dark areas. Proper ventilation can prevent pests from making these areas their shelter and forces them to move somewhere else.
- Wash your linen more often. Not all pest species enjoy living in your basement or in the kitchen cabins. Some of them, like dust mites and bed bugs, find shelter in your bed or between your clothes. In order to get rid of these almost-invisible pests, you should wash your clothes, towels, bed-sheets and blankets more often. Washing linen three or four times a month will ensure healthy, pest-free surroundings.
- Don’t postpone house repairs. Repairing or replacing broken pipes, window frames and damaged doors on time is one of the most effective DIY pest control tips. As we all want to avoid pricey house repairs, we often unintentionally create opportunities for pests to enter the home. The longer we postpone the necessary repairs, the greater the chance of these small invaders getting inside our house.
Instead of allowing pests to find their shelter inside your property, it’s crucial to consider scheduling your house repairs as soon as possible. Additionally, it is good to install door sweeps in case you don’t have any.
- Check and prevent leaks. One of the main water sources for all pest species is leaking water coming from the toilets, water tanks and hose pipes. As all pests need water and moisture to survive, nothing can attract them more than leaking water points in your home or the nearby areas.
Fortunately, preventing leaks by fixing the weak spots on pipes and joints is not a complex task for you to do. Moreover, fixing said leaks will prevent pests from finding the water source in your house and eventually force them to move elsewhere. However, in some cases, you may need to repair the complete drainage system to keep your environment healthy and pest-free. Either way, this is certainly one of the most effective DIY pest control tips you should seriously consider.
Don’t wait too long – call pest control pros
Keeping in mind that some pests can cause enormous house damage and costly repairs, it is always wise to be ready to deal with them. Although the aforementioned pest control tips can make a huge difference, it is important to know when to contact pest control professionals. Our pest control team is experienced and skilled in dealing with all kinds of home invaders in no time.
We take our clients seriously and approach each case separately, doing whatever it takes to offer high quality pest control service. With over fifteen years of experience in providing pest control to homeowners in Phoenix, we are confident we can guarantee a pest-free environment to each of our clients.
In addition to our highly effective and professional pest-control approach, we offer the best pest control products, a renewable warranty and attractive promotions.
Our current promotions include:
|$49 Off Home Seal Service||$29 Off Scorpion Intensive Control||$49 Off Termite Control|
To prevent serious property damage and pricey repairs, don’t wait too long! Contact us today and schedule your free inspection – ensure a healthy, pest-free environment for you and your loved ones.