When planning a summer vacation, you’re probably concerned with what you’re going to bring with you on your holiday. But there’s one important thing you should plan to not bring back: bed bugs. That’s right- these tiny nuisances are still infesting hotels and tourist destinations around the country. And if you’re not vigilant, they could wind up tagging along on your whole trip. To help you avoid bringing bed bugs home as holiday souvenirs, Arizona Best Choice Pest Control of Scottsdale has a few professional tips:
- Before leaving, check the Bed Bug Registry online to see if your hotel has had a recent infestation.
- Pack clothing in large, sealable bags. This way, if bed bugs or eggs get onto your luggage, your clothing is protected.
- At the hotel, keep your belongings outside while you check the room for signs of bed bugs: small blood spots on mattress/linens; beige-colored, shed bug skins; visible bed bugs. With a flashlight, inspect nightstands, baseboards, carpet edges, sockets, and upholstered furniture.
- Once you’ve assured it’s bug-free, continue to store your clothing in bags and keep your luggage up off of the floor.
- Back at home, thoroughly inspect luggage, wash all clothing immediately in hot water and warm-air dry. Vacuum suitcases inside and out before storing.
- Continue inspecting your home for a few weeks after your vacation: if you suspect bed bugs, call an Arizona residential pest control specialist.
Keep in mind that bed bugs can also be found on airplanes and other forms of public transportation. But if you follow these tips, you’ll likely be able to avoid unwanted tag-alongs wherever you go. If you suspect an infestation at your home or business, call the Arizona home sealing specialists at AZ Best Choice. From bed bug control programs to termite inspection and more, we offer the most comprehensive Arizona residential pest control in town. For more information on home sealing and pest control in Scottsdale, contact us online.