Pest problems are common, but that doesn't mean they aren't a big deal. Since many bugs and vermin can be disease carriers, it’s important to take steps to keep as many of them out of your home as possible. Investing in the services of an Arizona exterminator is one good step to take, but there are many day-to-day pest control tips you can put into practice as well.
6 Simple DIY Pest Control Tips
- Stock up on plastic containers – Food or edible items in cardboard or paper packaging should be placed in tightly sealed plastic containers. This not only keeps pests out, but also keeps food fresher longer.
- Inspect mesh screens – If you have mesh screens on windows and doors, ensure they don’t have any tears, gaps, or holes in them. Airing your house out shouldn’t mean letting pests in.
- Seal garbage bins – Make sure your garbage cans aren’t a mess. Use strong, airtight, plastic bags and buy garbage cans with sealable lids to keep rats and raccoons out. Also, make sure the cans aren’t top-heavy: eager critters can knock those over easily.
- Fill cracks – Pests can get into your house through the smallest cracks and holes, so it’s extremely important to fill the walls outside your home. You can try filling smaller cracks with caulk, but professional home sealing is recommended for bigger jobs.
- Keep a clean house – This is the most basic pest control tip of all: messy houses provide excellent hiding spots for pests. Keep things neat and clean, and regularly go through your belongings to donate, throw out, or recycle old and unwanted possessions. The less you have, the less they can hide behind (or in, or under).
- Clean your yard – Like your house, an unkempt yard is a free-for-all for bugs and vermin. Raccoons and mice can easily climb unruly bushes and trees near your home, and piles of junk or leaves make great nesting places.
What to Do When Do-It-Yourself Pest Control Fails
If you’ve done all you can but you’re still having pest problems, call your local pest control provider right away.
At Arizona's Best Choice Pest and Termite Services, we provide expert pest control that will send your unwanted guests packing in a hurry. From powerful exterior sprays to interior injection systems, our reliable services have made us a trusted name in extermination and home sealing in Arizona. We also happily service commercial properties that are in need of serious, professional pest control.
Contact us online or give us a call today at (480) 418-3068 to request a free, no-obligation pest inspection.