Scorpions are among the most feared and despised pests in the world. With their terrifying appearance and poisonous sting, scorpions are a natural nemesis for most homeowners and families in Arizona. Scorpions, however, have been around for millions of years and extinction is apparently nowhere on the horizon- so your best bet for home protection against scorpions is to always be prepared. By following these tips, you can significantly decrease the number of scorpions you’ll encounter on your property:
- Seal cracks and crevices around your home: they are prime entry points for scorpions. Another alternative for keeping scorpions at bay here in Arizona is scorpion repellant sprayed around doors and windows.
- Scorpions are surprisingly attracted to water; eliminate standing water and leaks wherever possible (air conditioners, hoses, etc.).
- Clear brush, debris and leaf piles around your house’s perimeter, and store firewood 30 feet away from your home.
- Crickets are one of scorpions’ favorite meals; if you keep crickets way, you’ll also keep scorpions away.
- Scorpions hide in dark places during daytime hours and venture out into houses at night. Check cupboards and closets periodically to ensure there are none hiding in wait.
Some other useful facts that aid in home protection against scorpions:
- The best time to hunt scorpions is in the dark. Because their skeletons glow, a black light can easily detect them. Ultraviolet LED flashlights typically cost under $20.
- Newer homes outside of busy city centers generally attract more scorpions.
- Scorpions tend to travel solo, and like to hide alone all day under rocks and in holes. One exception is baby scorpions, who travel on their mother’s backs until they’ve matured.
- The average scorpion living in the wild has a life of expectancy of about 3-6 years.
- It’s best to not handle a scorpion by yourself: call a professional for removal.
If you need professional scorpion extermination or removal, trust the skilled and friendly technicians at Arizona Best Pest Control. We offer free scorpion inspections, as well as trusted and effective Arizona scorpion repellants and control methods. For more information on Arizona Best Pest Control’s innovative and reliable scorpion extermination services, contact us online to find the location closest to you.