Summer has officially hit full-swing here in Arizona, and it’s likely many of you will be heading out of town for summer vacations. An often overlooked aspect of being away from home for long periods in Arizona is residential pest control: bugs and other critters can do considerable damage while you’re off enjoying your break. Before you call the travel agent and pack your bags, consider the following tips to help bug proof your home while away:
- In the yard, remove or drain sources of standing water (birdbaths, flower pots, kiddie pools, rain gutters, etc.) as they are breeding grounds for pests.
- Ants and other bugs use plants and branches as a means of entry into your home. To prevent this, cut tree branches and other plants away from your house’s exterior.
- Use airtight containers to store all loose or leftover food items in the pantry. Meal moths in particular love pantry items like cereals, grains, and dried fruit.
- A simple way to bug proof your home is to clean it: take out the garbage, wash all dishes, and don’t leave dirty laundry lying out. Even one dirty plate can attract ants, roaches, and more.
- Ensure all faucets are turned off tight. Moisture in the home attracts termites, roaches, and other pests, so it’s important to eliminate its sources.
- When packing the car, use airtight containers for snacks to ensure ants don’t tag along with your family.
- When packing luggage, seal clothes in large plastic bags within your suitcase; keep them sealed during hotel stays to prevent bed bugs from hiding in them. When you get home, inspect and vacuum suitcases before bringing them inside and wash all clothing- even unworn items- in hot, soapy water.
These tips to bug proof your home will help put your mind at ease while you’re on vacation with your family this summer. Should you come home to an unfortunate pest problem, count on the expert services from Arizona’s Best Choice. We back up all of our Arizona residential pest control services with warranties, and offer Arizona home sealing services that keep pests out while you’re away. If you need help at work, our state certified service personnel perform the best commercial pest control in Arizona. If it’s time for professional Arizona residential pest control, contact us online to find the location closest to you.