A termite infestation in your home is very bad news. The sooner you can detect a termite invasion, however, the more likely that you can minimize the damage these insects will do your home. That’s why it’s important for Arizona homeowners to be aware of the signs of a termite infestation.
Here at Arizona’s Best Choice Pest & Termite Services, we offer free termite inspections in the Valley and in Casa Grande. If you suspect that you have termites, it’s time to call in the experts. Contact us online to get started today.
Detecting any damage
Many homeowners first realize they have a termite problem when they see damage caused by the insects. If you notice any of the following, it’s time to schedule a termite inspection:
- Many tiny holes in the wood (about the size of a nail)
- Fissures or cracks in the wood
- Small tunnels made from mud or soil on the home’s foundation
- Sagging, drooping, or discolored drywall
- Peeling paint
- Buckling or blistered wood or laminate floorboards
- Loose tile
- Doors or windows that are difficult to open
- Wood with a hollow sound or honeycomb appearance
- Quiet clicking sounds in the walls
In addition to structural damage, you might also find piles of discarded termite wings that look like fish scales, mounds of termite droppings, or even live swarms of the insects. Some termite species shed their wings when they mature.
The live bugs look almost like ants but range in color from white-to-light brown. The droppings are a dark brown or black powder that collects on the outside of the termite tunnels.
Preventing a termite infestation
You can take a few proactive steps to lessen the chances that termites will decide to set up shop at your property. Here’s a few things to watch out for:
- Remove wood and dead trees from your yard or property.
- Keep firewood and construction materials in a dedicated shed, as far from your house as possible.
- Build outdoor structures with treated wood, which repels termites.
- Spread landscaping mulch away from your home’s foundation.
- When possible, direct the flow of water (from your hose or irrigation) away from the foundation of your home, so that the soil near your foundation is consistently dry.
Be sure to check out this article for more on the signs of a termite infestation.
Dealing with the signs of a termite infestation
A professional inspection by an experienced termite specialist is the best course of action if you suspect you have termites. However, any existing signs of termite damage may mean that the problem is already well-entrenched. If you’re concerned about termites, you may even want to schedule an annual inspection and preventive treatment.
Call in the experts at Arizona’s Best Choice Pest & Termite Services
Call us here at Arizona’s Best Choice Pest & Termite Services to schedule a free termite inspection. We have been serving homeowners in Phoenix and Casa Grande for more than 20 years, and have more than 7,000 loyal clients who will speak to our effective treatments and outstanding customer service.